Click the icons below to follow CPO
on Twitter and Facebook!
Triangle's Largest Food Pantry Struggles
In April 2013,
In fiscal year 2012:
CPO, a Catholic Charities program, is celebrating 36 years of serving the triangle community! We provide emergency food assistance and, when possible, small children's clothing and baby items, such as formula and diapers.
We need your help now more than ever!
As a result of continued economic pressures in our area and reduced government funding, CPO is struggling to serve an average of 10,100 people per month, which is an increase of 10% more clients than last year. Due to a large budget gap and higher client numbers, CPO has had to cut its food purchases; in the meantime, the number of those in need continues to increase.
A tax-deductible donation of $25 feeds a family for one week.
CPO does more than just give out food. The food pantry gives hope to its clients by treating them with dignity and respect along with showing that volunteers come together with one purpose - to help them. CPO also provides a food stamp outreach program, and a resource list of other assistance throughout the community. It is a model throughout the state of how to serve the less fortunate in our communities.
Recent local hunger statistics*:
- 25% of NC children under 5 go to bed hungry
- 2,200+ children are registered in Wake County public schools as homeless
- 170,200 people in NC receive emergency food assistance every week
- 80% of NC households with children who receive food assistance do not know where their next meal is coming from
* Sources: www.thefoodeffect.org, www.ncfoodbanks.org, and www.cbsnews.com